Those of you know that know me, you know I love celebrating holidays and I enjoying entertaining and hosting. The 4th of July is one of my favorite summer holidays! It’s the celebration of the day the thirteen colonies claimed their independence from England, an event which eventually led to the formation of the United States. Americans typically celebrate the 4th of July barbecuing, spending times with friends and family and fireworks.
This past Saturday I discussed “Festive 4th of July Snacks” on WCCO Saturday Morning. All of the recipes were SUPER easy (TRUST ME, if I can make them anyone can ) but they’ll add a WOW factor to your 4th of July BBQ or Potluck this weekend!
1. Red, White and Blue Fruit Salad
- 1 pound of strawberries
- 2 bunches of bananas
- 1 quart of blueberries
Slice strawberries and bananas
Make a 6 x 6 blueberry square at upper right hand corner of flag. To the right, place a row of strawberries , followed by a row of bananas. A row of strawberries should line up with the top of the blueberries to complete the flag.
Serve with ice cream, whipped cream, or a sprinkle of fresh mint if desired.
2. Buffalo Puppies
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup crumbled strong blue cheese, such as Maytag blue
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped (about 1 cup), plus extra ribs cut into sticks for serving
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 48 cocktail hot dogs
- 1/4 cup hot pepper sauce, plus extra for drizzling, such as Frank’s
- 24 slider potato rolls
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 cup blue potato chips, crushed with your hands
Combine the cream cheese, mayonnaise and blue cheese in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until smooth, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, about 5 minutes, and then stir in the celery.
Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the hot dogs and cook until heated through, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in the hot sauce and cook until the hot dogs are coated, 1 to 2 minutes.
Slice vertically through each potato bun, about halfway through so it resembles a top-split hot dog bun, and place 2 buffalo dogs in each. Top with 1 to 2 teaspoons of the blue cheese sauce, a drizzle of hot sauce (as spicy as you like it), some red onions and crushed blue chips.
Serve the sliders with any extra blue cheese sauce and celery sticks on the side for dipping.
Recipe from www.foodnetwork.com
3. Red Velvet- Blueberry Ive Cream Pie
- 4 store-bought red velvet cupcakes
- 1 1/2 pints vanilla ice cream
- 1 1/2 pints blueberry sorbet
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar